Red Dog Names
Have a new red puppy?
Our Red Dog Names list maybe the perfect solution to finding a great name for that flaming hot red puppy you just adopted.
But what is the best name for your pooch?
Even though all of these names have one thing in common (they mean red), many of them create mental images that help define the dog.
For example, let me share a personal story.
We adopted a little red and white dog recently and wanted the perfect
red dog name for him.
So we began to brainstorm and came up with names
like Carrot Top, Cayenne and Curry.
They all would have described his
color just fine, but they didn’t seem to address his temperament or
personal quirks that made him who he is.
We needed to search farther.
Here was a good little puppy who always seemed to be getting into trouble. Drama followed him everywhere, but in the end, everything seemed to resolve itself and all was good.
Finally it dawned on me that he was like one of my favorite children’s book characters. He was a Clifford (from the book series written by Norman Bridwell.)
But at two pounds and not likely to get heavier than eight pounds, he just didn’t look the part of a canine that needed a tractor trailer to transport him to the vet. Then, the weirdest thing happened.
We got a packaged delivered to our home through the US Postal
Service. Postal Workers usually hate to come to my home because we have
so many dogs, but this one came knocking and out ran this little 2
The postal worker asked me for his name, and I hated to
admit that he didn’t have a name yet.
But Mr. No-name puppy showered
this guy with kisses and jumped excitedly to play.
I commented that the
puppy really seemed to take to this man.
Pleased with himself, he
nonchalantly suggested that he be called Cliff or Clifford from the old
TV series Cheers.
The screen name for the postal worker on Cheers was
That did it! His name will be Clifford, the Little Red Dog!
|Clifford, my Lil Red Dog
Red Dog Names
This list includes color names, objects, both natural and manufactured that are red, as well as characters from cartoons, movies, books, and television shows.
I’m sure I’ve forgotten one, so please offer your suggestions in the form below. I always add your suggestions (as long as they are family-friendly) the next time I update the page.
- Aka (Japanese for Red)
- Amber (Girl’s name)
- Ariel from Little Mermaid
- Auburn (Color)
- Autumn (reminiscent of the color of the season)
- Beets (Well, maybe a little on the purple side)
- Blaze (Good for a girl or a boy)
- Brandy (Alcoholic beverage)
- Bordeaux (Wine)
- Burgundy (Wine)
- Brick (Traditional color of bricks made with clay Is red)
- Cardinal (The bird)
- Carrot Top (Not what a red head want’s to be called)
- Cayenne (Spicy Hot)
- Cheddar (Golden red)
- Cherry (Bright red fruit)
- Chestnut (Brownish-red nut)
- Cheyenne: Indian word for red
- Clifford (The Big Red Dog owned by Emily Elizabeth in the children’s book with the same title)
- Chili (Spice)
- Cinnamon (Spice)
- Copper (Good for brownish red dog)
- Cranberry (Fruit)
- Crimson (the color)
- Currant (Fruit)
- Curry ((Spicy)
- Elmo (Red monster on Sesame Street)
- Ellie (animated character from Disney movie, Up)
- Ember (Fire hot)
- Eric (the Red)
- Fiona ( From Shrek)
- Flame (Good as either a boy or a girl name)
- Flann (Irish name meaning red, ruddy)
- Flamingo (Have a pink dog?)
- Foxy (Some Foxes are red)
- Frizzle (Miss Frizzle from the Magic School Bus)
- Garnet (precious metal)
- Gilroy (Irish, Gaelic means Son of the Red-head)
- Ginger (Reddish colored spice)
- Goldie (Great for a reddish-orange dog)
- Harkin (Irish name meaning dark red
- Harry (Prince Harry, son of Charles and Diana)
- Hazel (from the old English means reddish-brown)
- Hong (Chinese for Red)
- Hydrant (Fire hydrants are often red)
- Jelly Bean (Well, some are red)
- Jessica or Jess for short (from the animated character in Roger Rabbit)
- Ketchup (May not work if your family uses a lot of ketchup)
- Lady Bug (call her Lady for short)
- Lobster (For that little crustacean your life)
- Lucy (Lucille Ball)
- Mango (orange colored fruit)
- Mars (the Red Planet)
- Merida (Princess in the Disney Movie, Brave)
- Merlot (Red Wine)
- Pansy (Flower that comes in a variety of colors including red)
- Paprika (Spice)
- Penny (Copper colored)
- Peppermint (Candy, Peppermint Pattie was a redhead in the cartoon, Peanuts)
- Pepperoni (Pepper for short)
- Peter Pan (Disney Character had red hair)
- Phoenix (From Greek meaning Crimson; unisex)
- Poppy (red flower)
- Phineas (little red tuft of hair from Phineas and Ferb cartoon)
- Radish (Bright red vegetable)
- Raspberry (Fruit)
- Red (Why not?)
- Rhubarb (purple-red fruit)
- Rogan: Irish name means red headed
- Rojo (Spanish for red)
- Rose (Beautiful name for a girl dog)
- Rosie (If Rose is too formal, why not Rosie?)
- Rosso (Italian for red)
- Rouge (French for red)
- Rowan (from the Gaelic meaning red)
- Ruby (Precious metal)
- Russell (meaning "little red one"
- Rusty (Great name for a reddish-brown dog)
More Ideas from our Readers
Brook from the U.S.A. recommends the name Copper for a Penny Colored Dog.
Ann, From MA. U.S.A. writes:
Sedona for its red rocks. Could be a great name for a red female dog
Darren from Victoria, Australia suggested the name, "Carmine."
The names means a vivid crimson color and you get it when you burn Lithium Chloride.
Any Chemists out there??
Pamela from Oregon, USA writes: Dhargan - which is Gaelic and means " red stain"
Elizabeth Boyer from Essex, UK writes:
"When I went to school Ruby was a precious stone not metal. We are going to name our Fox red Labrador "Rosie" I loved many of your suggestions."
- Saffron (Spice)
- Sandy (For a light colored red dog)
- Scarlet (From old French meaning red)
- Sienna (reddish-orange)
- Skelton (Red Skelton, Comedian from the mid 20th century)
- Solo (Red Solo Cup)
- Spark (first sign of a fire)
- Strawberry (red fruit)
- Sumac (Mediterranean spice)
- Sunset (Red Sky at night, Sailors delight)
- Suri (Persian name meaning red rose)
- Thor (Norse god with red hair)
- Tiger (Tigers are often reddish orange in color)
- Tomato (One very red fruit)
- Tulip (red tulip is a spring flower)
- Twizzlers (red licorice candy)
- Wilma (from the Flintstones)
Got a few Great Red Dog Names to Add to the List?
Use the form below and give us your suggestions. Please indicate that you want your suggestion placed on the red dog names page and be sure to tell us why it would be a great name.
If you enjoyed Red Dog Names,
May we Suggest...
Got Dog Products to Sell?
You definitely need to check out Trafeze to get your products out there and seen by the masses.
Advertising on this Site
Small Dog Place is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com This site receives a small commission from all affiliate links and third-party advertising.
Grab Our Free Ezine...
Did you enjoy this article or find it helpful? Then why not share it.
The best way to say, Thank You?
Is to Share
Can't find what you need?
Try a Search