Dog Poisoning by Carolina Martel |Last Updated 12-19-2022
Accidental dog poisoning is a common and frequent threat that pet owners have to worry about. It is a common threat because many household items and human foods can be poisonous for your dog.
Most responsible pet owners are careful about the placement of such products. They make sure that chemicals, foods, and other household items that are dangerous for their dog are placed out of their reach.
However, accidents happen, your dog may get into some chocolate that you have thrown in the trash, or it may eat some flowers or plants from the garden they prove to be poisonous.
Understanding the symptoms of poisoning and learning some first aid tips can help you take care of your beloved pet and even save their life. Depending on the kind of poisonous materials your dog has ingested, it could have very little time, and a quick response from you can make a lot of difference.
If your dog has ingested something poisonous, you need to take it to the vet immediately; however, if you know some first aid tips, you can make it easier for the vet to identify what kind of poisonous materials the dog has eaten and how to treat it.
Moreover, if you aren't able to get to a vet immediately, knowing a thing or two about caring for poisoned dogs can be quite helpful.
Therefore, today I am going to tell you some of the prevalent risk factors of dog poisoning and four practical ways in which you can help your dog if it has been poisoned, so keep reading to learn more.
Dogs are the most common pet in the US, and according to statistics, 39% of US households have at least one pet dog. Though people care for their pets, and their home environment is quite favorable for them, it is also one of the more prominent sources of toxicological risks.
Dogs have an inquisitive nature, and they tend to explore, which often puts them at the risk of accidental poisoning from simple household items.
Recently a study was conducted with the Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. In this study, the data for the calls over three years (from 2009-2012) was analyzed to determine what was the average risk factor for dogs being poisoned.
Out of the 1,616 total calls, 84.7% were regarding pet dogs, and the most common form of exposure was oral, which accounted for 95.5% of the total requests. Moreover, dermal exposure accounted for 3.7% and inhalation exposure for 0.6% of the calls.
If you are going to help your dog, identifying their symptoms and the items that may have caused the poisoning is essential. Various symptoms can indicate that your pet might have ingested or inhaled something poisonous.
However, these symptoms vary a lot, and even if some of them are present, you can't be sure if your dog is poisoned or what kind of poisonous materials it has taken. The common symptoms of dog poisoning may include but aren’t limited to the following.
If any of these symptoms are noticed, you should try to figure out what might have poisoned your dog. This can be helpful in its treatment and can even save its life. Here are some things that you should check out.
Many human medications are seriously harmful to dogs. Here are some things you need to watch out for.
Many things in the bathroom can also be potentially harmful to your dog. Here are the things you need to be careful about
Household items like cleaning products can also cause poisoning, and skin irritation; moreover, essential oils can also be harmful if ingested by your dog. Therefore, make sure that all cleaning products are inaccessible to your dog.
Tobacco can also be harmful to dogs; therefore, if you smoke, make sure to dispose of your cigarette butts responsibly. Vaping can also be dangerous.
Many human foods are completely safe and healthy for dogs but not all foods we love to eat are good for dogs.
Make sure that harmful food items like chocolate, avocados, raisins grapes, and nuts are away from the reach of the dog. View a complete list of foods that dogs should not eat.
Puppies are notorious for checking everything out by taking a mouthful. While most plants taste bitter and adult dogs rarely choose to eat them, there are some plants that are especially harmful to dogs.
If your dog has access to indoor plants or plays in your garden regularly, them may decide to see if that lovely green leaf or colorful flower is good enough to eat.
Keep all poisonous plants away from dogs. View a list of plants toxic to dogs.
When your pet dog is accidentally poisoned, it is widespread for people to get scared and start panicking. Most people don't know what to do to help their dog, and the best thing to do in this state is to seek professional help. Here are some ways in which you can do so.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested something harmful, you should call your vet and explain its symptoms. This can help you identify what might have caused the poisoning, and if your pet needs immediate medical attention.
Furthermore, if your dog is showing severe symptoms, then calling your vet. At the same time, you are headed in the direction that can help them prepare, and save a lot of valuable time.
If your regular vet clinic is closed, you should take your pet to a 24-hour emergency animal care facility, and if you can identify the cause of the poisoning, bring a sample with you. This can help the vet determine the proper treatment.
Aside from your vet, the best source of information regarding the health of your dog is the APCC is the best source of information. If you live in the US, the number for the ASPCA poison control helpline is (888)-426-4435.
If you catch your dog eating something that could be harmful to it, a very useful first aid tip is to make your dog vomit. Inducing vomit can help you ensure that the potentially poisonous substance won't harm your pet. However, there are some things you need to be careful about.
If you are confident that vomiting won’t harm your dog, or you have been directed by your vet to do so, you can quickly get the job done with an equal parts solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water. Here are some instructions you should follow.
If your dog gets poisoned, there is going to be some recovery time as it regains its energy. In some cases where the poisoning isn't that severe, the dog may get active and happy within a day. However, in that case of severe poisoning, especially in cases where the vet may have had to flush the dog’s stomach, recovery can be a difficult time.
Intense poisoning can affect your pet’s liver and kidneys; therefore, you should make sure that they are getting a healthy diet, which has natural antioxidants and supplements that are beneficial for the dog’s organs.
You may also have to give your pet some medications after a poisoning incident, and that can be difficult when it is already scared or startled, therefore, look for some creative ways to get your dog to take its medication. Hiding the pills in some doggy treats can be an effective solution.
To sum it all up, we are responsible for our pets, and they can’t understand that certain things might be bad for them; therefore, it is up to us to prevent pet poisoning.
On the off chance that it does accidentally happen, we should stay calm and try to help our pets. I have mentioned some tips in this post, and I hope that it is helpful and informative.
Currently a student of English Literature, in her final years, Carolina Martel is passionate about writing her thoughts in words. She takes up writing projects in her leisure time to accompany her studies.
Generally, she understands the essence of writing on every topic but especially those that relate to her field. She regularly writes at https://shadedco.com/.