Best Dog Food
Best Dog Food: What You Don't Know Can Harm Your Dog
Feeding the best dog food you can afford goes a long way towards insuring your dog’s health and it has added benefits to you such as fewer visits to the vet and your dog will enjoy a longer life. But, finding that ideal food sometimes takes a little research.
Labels can be misleading. Words such as “Premium,
Advanced, or Select,” can imply the food is superior to other brands.
But these labels can be completely wrong as
we will show on the list of best dog foods below.
Many of the foods that hold these titles are given a score of F, which
if you ask any school student means: Failing.
In case you want to avoid the explanations, you can access the list of Best Dog Foods now. Otherwise, read on...
How we choose dog food
- Sometimes we
are encouraged to buy a particular brand by a pushy salesperson who may not
fully understand what she/he is trying to sell.
- Sometimes, we
just get into a habit of buying the same food without even considering the
consequences until our small dog gets ill.
- Perhaps your dog breeder suggested a food and you just stuck with it assuming she/he "knows best."
you had a store coupon and couldn’t resist the urge to save a little money.
Any of these sound familiar?
Well, we all have our moments, but choosing the best dog food should take some thought and deliberation on our part.
Dog food is
not designed to be a one size fits all choice.
Every dog is unique and may have special needs that require a specific
type of food due to allergies or health issues.
Dog come in
many sizes and shapes and their food intake differs accordingly. Dog food for a Great Dane should be different
from what you’d feed a Chihuahua.
and life stages all come into play when choosing a good diet. You
your human infant the same foods you enjoy as an adult. The same is
true of dogs.
Each life stage has particular dietary requirements.
Adults, puppies, seniors, pregnant dames and
nursing moms all have different needs and the choices you make for your
should reflect this.
There are so
many choices on the market today and new products are coming available
constantly. Older products are improved and some no longer
The list below is based on
the Dog food rating system written by Sarah Irick, a Great Dane owner, rescue worker, and engineer who wanted a way to evaluate dog foods so she could provide the best dog food for her pets.
The list is not complete, but
gives you a good starting point. If your
dog food is not listed, you can evaluate it yourself using the Dog Food Rating System
The Best Dog Food: Graded A+
- Timberwolf Organics Lamb and Venison / Score 136
- Orijen Puppy Food / Score 131 A+
- Merrick Wilderness Blend / Score 127 A+
- Solid Gold Bison / Score 123 A+
- Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance Ultra-Premium / Score
- Nature’s Variety Raw Instinct / Score 122 A+
- Timberwolf Organics Wild and Natural
- Eagle Pack Holistic / Score 119 A+
- Wellness Just for Puppy / Score 117 A+
- Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
- Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Venison and Rice / Score
- Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
- Fromm Gold Dry Food for Small Breed Adult Dogs 114 A+
- Fromm Gold Puppy Food 114 A+
- Acana Puppy and Junior Food 114 A+
- Life's Abundance All Life Stage Food 114 A+
- Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken / Score 114 A+
- Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
- Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
- Natural Balance Duck and Potato / Score 114 A+
- Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance Duck and Potato /
Score 114 A+
- Canidae / Score 112
- 4Health Puppy Food / Score 113 A+
- Performatrin Ultra Chicken and Brown Rice Puppy Food 112 A+
- Blue Buffalo Puppy Foods 111 A+
- Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables /
Score 110 A+
- Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
- Performatrin Ultra
Grain-Free Dog Food Review / Score 110 A+
- Wellness Super5 Mix Senior / Score 110 A +
- Premium Edge Chicken, Rice and Vegetables Adult Dry /
Score 109 A+
- Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey & Potato Recipe for
Puppies / Score 109 A+
- Petcurean NOW Adult for Small Breed Dogs / Score 109A+
- Kirkland Signature Puppy Chicken, Rice and Vegetable /
Score 108 A+
- Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
- Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance Venison & Brown
Rice/Score 106 A+
- Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Original Ultra Chicken Puppy Formula 106 A+
- Dick Van Patten’s Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
- Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice / Score 106 A+
- Foundations / Score 106 A+
- Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream w/Smoked Salmon /
Score 105 A+
- 4health Grain Free Beef and Potato Formula / Score 104
- ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+
- EaglePack Holistic / Score 102 A+
- Flint River Senior /Score 101 A+
- Nature’s Recipe / Score 100
- Solid Gold / Score 99 A
- Summit / Score 99 A
- Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
- Royal Canin Dachshund 28 Formula / Score 97 A
- Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
- Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A
- Nature's Select Chicken & Rice Puppy Growth Premium
/ Score 96 A
- Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Brown Rice and Oatmeal / Score 95 A
- Eagle Pack Natural / Score 94 A
- Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach / Score 94 A
- Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score
- Nutro Max Adult / Score 93 B
- Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
- Flint River Ranch / Score 92 B (non-specific fat
- Royal Canin Shih Tzu 24 / Score 89 B
- Eukanuba Natural Lamb and Rice / Score 87
- Royal Canin Mini Puppy Food / Score 87 B
- Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
- Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Wheat Free /Score 86 B
- Nutro Chicken, Rice, & Oatmeal / Score 85 C
(non-specific fat source)
- Nutro Natural choice Lamb and Rice / Score 85
- Diamond Performance / Score 85 C
- Members Mark Chicken and Rice / Score 84 C
- Eukanuba Adult / Score 81 C
- Natra Nuggets Super Preimum Lamb Meal and Rice / Score
- Pro Nature Puppy / Score 80 C
- Eukanuba Puppy / Score 79 C
- Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
- Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
- Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
- Pro Plan All Breed / Score 68 F
- Pro Plan Focus Toy Breed Formula 67 F
- Purina Puppy Chow Brand Puppy Food Healthy Morsels 66F
- Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
- Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
- Purina Dog / Score 62 F
- Science Diet chicken adult maintenance / Score 45 F
- Pedigree Complete Nutrition / Score 42 F
- Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
- Purina Beneful / Score 17 F
- Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
- Pedigree Adult Complete / Score 14 F
- Ol Roy / Score 9 F
- Feed the Best Dog Food that your budget will allow.
- Purchase your Dog Food from a retail pet store or online. Avoid brands sold at your local Grocery or Supermarket.
- When changing dog foods, gradually wean your dog off of your current food and onto the new food over the course of three or four days.
- Do not let the number grades given for each food get you hung up. It is likely if two people evaluate the food, you will get two different scores.
More Dog Food Articles to Explore
Does Your dog need an organic dog food? Is organic foods better than the rest? Find out.
Grain free is all the rage, but is it necessary to feed your dog a grain free food?
Does This Article Deserve Your Thumbs Up?
We always appreciate your support and encouragement. Your thumbs up means so much to us. Please like this article.
Free Monthly Newsletter
Sign Up for Our Free Newsletter and get our Free Gift to You.
my E-book, The Top 10 Mistakes People Make When Choosing a Dog (and how to avoid them)
If you enjoyed this page, I'd love it if you'd let me know. Just click the button below. Thank you.
Sharing is Caring