Dog Names By Color
Blue or Gray Dog Names
Dog Names for a Blue or Gray Dog
This page includes names for a gray, silver or blue dog
By Janice Jones | Last Updated February 21, 2019
Choosing dog names by color is a favorite way to select the perfect name for your new puppy or adult dog.
What comes to mind when you think about blue? The color of the sky or the deep blue sea? Perhaps a sense of calm and tranquility? Daybreak or sunset?
How about gray?
Grays and blues are sometimes hard to distinguish because there are so many shades depending on the breed of your choice. Sometimes these colors are commonplace and other times they are extremely rare and difficult for breeders to produce.
Each breed has its own, unique way of describe colors. Just look at all of the small breed dogs represented on this site. You'll find breeds that describe basically the same color with a variety of different terms.
How Many Ways to Describe a Blue or Gray Dog?
We're not talking black or white, but something in between. We've lumped these colors together because in many cases they represent a dilute black color--Gray, Grizzle, Grey Brindle, Seal, Slate, Pepper, Silver, Wolfgray, maybe even Merle.
Inspiration for Dog Names for a Blue or Gray Dog?
We looked for inspiration for these names from nature, both living and nonliving elements such as rocks and stones. We also looked to pop culture, the movies, television, and even children's books.
- We restricted the names to include only those that would make great dog names.
- The names were 2 or 3 syllables max.
- They had meaning and perhaps a story or two behind each name.
I'm sure we've forgotten a few great names. Can you help us out? Contact me with your great ideas for dog names for a blue or gray dog and we'll add it to this page along with a quick note that credits you for your amazing creativity and willingness to share. Be sure to identify which dog names page you'd like your suggestions to appear.
Dog Names for a Gray/Silver Dog
- Anchovy (a gray colored fish)
- Artemis Greek goddess of the beautiful silver moon
- Ash or Ashes or Ashen (the remains of a fire usually gray in color)
- Blade (Silver knife blade)
- Brain (think grey matter)
- Bullet (the silver color ammunitions)
- Carbon (chemical element that is gray in color)
- Cenzio (Spanish for gray)
- Chara (short for Charcoal)
- Cloud or Cloudy (a grayish colored mass of condensed water in the sky)
- Comet (an icy solar system object that appears gray in the sky)
- Coal or Cole (remains of burned wood)
- Darth (as in Vader from Star Wars)
- Dolphin (a gray mammal found in the ocean)
- Dusty (dust is a shade of gray
- Dorian Gray (a gothic novel by Oscar Wilde)
- Dumbo (gray Disney character) Aww, maybe not, never knew a dumb dog
- Earl Grey (a type of tea)
- Flint (grayish in color)
- Gin (Japanese for "silver.")
- Glacier (a moving mound of ice that often appears gray.)
- Granite (a type of stone, sometimes gray in color)
- Graphite (gray form of carbon that occurs as a metal in some rocks)
- Grau (German for Gray)
- Graybeard (for a dog breed that has a beard)
- Graystone (a type of residential architecture usually gray in color)
- Grigio (Italian for "gray.")
- Grey Poupon (Variety of Mustard)
- Gris (French for Gray)
- Grizzly (Gray)
- Inky (A cute name for a brindle gray colored dog)
- Koala (Grey animal from Australia)
- Luna (Refers to the Moon, Also a Roman goddess of the moon)
- Meeko (gray character in the movie, Pocahontas)
- Nickels (coins that are silver in color)
- Oyster (gray bivalve found in salt or brackish waters)
- Pepper (deep dark gray colored spice)
- Pewter (a metal alloy that appears gray in color)
- Plata (Spanish for silver)
- Pebbles (small gray stones)
- Smoke or Smokey (emitted from a burning object that appears gray in color)
- Sterling (Silver as in flatware and objects made of silver)
- Stormy (a gray color that occurs during a storm)
- TinMan (Wizard of Oz)
- Tinsel (Gray Christmas decoration)
Twilight (a gray color that occurs after sunset)
Dog Names for a Blue Dog
- Andorian (blue alien on Star Trek)
- Aster (Blue Flower, good name for a girl)
- Atasi (A type of blue flower)
- Azurite (blue gemstone)
- Azul (Spanish for blue)
- Beryl (pronounced ber uh, a mineral that is sometimes blue in color)
- Blau (German for Blue)
- Bleu (French for blue)
- Blue (also the name of the blue dog on the TV show Blue's Clues
- Blue Belle (Bell for Short)
- Bluebonnet (a blue flower)
- Blue calla lilies (flower) Calla or Lily for short)
- Blue Jay (Jay for short, a type of bird)
- Blue Moon (a full moon that appears bluish in color)
- Blueberry (a type of blue fruit)
- Bluestar (Blue flower, Star for short)
- Capri (deep sky blue)
- Cobalt (a bluish colored chemical element)
- Columbine (blue flower)
- Cookie Monster (the blue monster on the children's TV series Sesame Street)
- Cyan (color for greenish-blue)
- Denim (blue fabric)
- Doli (a Native American Name meaning blue bird)
- Dory (The blue fish in Finding Nemo)
- Eeyore (blue character in Winnie the Pooh)
- Genie(Blue character in Disney's Aladdin)
- Grover(blue character on Sesame Street
- Harold(blue character in the children's book, Harold and the Purple Crayon)
- Hinto(The Native American name for blue haired)
- Huckleberry (Hound was blue)
- Indigo (a deep blue or violet midnight sky)
- Iris (blue flower)
- Joy (blue character in Inside Out)
- Lapis (blue gemstone)
- Levi (Jeans that are normally a dark blue)
- Max Rebo (either Max or Rebo - blue musician in the first Star Wars movie
- Meena (Hindu word for blue stone)
- Midnight (the blue you see in the night sky)
- Moody Blue (an English Rock band from the 1960s and 1970s
- Navy Blue (deep blue color)
- Neptune (God of the Sea, and also the planet, neptune, considered to be blue)
- Neytiri (blue Avatar and Chief's daughter, in the movie, Avatar)
- Peacock (a beautiful bird with blue feathers)
- Periwinkle (blue flower)
- Pollia (blueberry found in Africa)
- Rosita (Blue bilingual character on Sesame Street)
- Royal (as in Royal Blue
- Sapphire (blue gemstone)
- Smurf (famous blue character)
- Sky or Skye (many shades of blue)
- Sonic (the Hedgehog was blue)
- Sulley (blue character in Monsters, Inc.)
- Tanzanite (Tanz for short, tanzanite is a blue gemstone)
- Topaz (a blue gemstone)
- Teal (a shade of blue)
- Violet (blue body in “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.”
- Yahto (a Native American word for the color blue)
If you found Dog Names for a Blue or Gray Dog Helpful, May we suggest a few other dog names pages to check out
Dog Names based on Mythology
Dog Names based on Drinks
Dog Names based on Food
Dog Names from the Movies
Ultimate List of Girl Puppy Names
Ultimate List of Boy Puppy Names
More Dog Names Based on Color
Article by Small Dog Place | Janice Jones
Does This Article Deserve Your Thumbs Up?
We always appreciate your support and encouragement. Your thumbs up means so much to us.
Free Monthly Newsletter
Sign Up for Our Free Newsletter and get our Free Gift to You.
my E-book, The Top 10 Mistakes People Make When Choosing a Dog (and how to avoid them)
If you enjoyed this page, I'd love it if you'd let me know. Just click the button below. Thank you.
Sharing is Caring