Nautical Pet Names
for Boating Enthusiasts and Water Loving Dogs
by Janice Jones |Last Updated February 19, 2019
Nautical Pet Names
Exploring nautical pet names is not only fun, it can be educational. Names on this list are perfect for those who love the water, sun and surf, enjoy fishing or boating, or maybe you are a Cruise Line enthusiast.
All the names on this page pertain to water, oceans, other bodies of water, fish and marine life, people who make a living on the sea, and of course, dog names with a distinctive nautical theme.
There are countless terms that refer to these topics, but we have narrowed them down to list only those that would make a great dog name.
One and two syllable dog names are the best and easiest, however we have added a couple clever dog names that have 3 syllables. You be the judge.
Nautical Pet Names A- B
- Admiral - A high ranking naval officer
- Ahoy - A nautical term used to call out to someone
- Anchor - A heavy object to keep a boat from drifting
- Arctic - A cold place
- Astern - Towards the back of the ship (Stern)
- Bailer - Some thing that can remove water that has leaked into a boat
- Bait - Small food used at the end of a fishing line
- Baltic - as in the Baltic Sea
- Baleen - A type of whale
- Barnacle -
- Bass - A type of fish
- Bay - A broad inlet of ocean where the land curves around it.
- Beach - Land area by the sea
- Beacon - A fire or light source that acts as a signal or warning
- Black Beard - legendary pirate
- Bell - In nautical terms, a bell that is placed on a buoy. [Belle is a very popular girl dog name]
- Berth- A sleeping area on a boat
- Boomer - Slang term for a ballistic missile submarine
- Breezy - Mild wind and popular female dog name
- Buoy - A floating object used for navigation
Nautical Pet Names C - D
- Cadet - A young student in training for a position in the police or armed forces
- Canal - Narrow man-made water passageway as in the Panama Canal
- Canoe - Small boat
- Captain - Someone who commands a ship
- Cargo - Goods or merchandise carried on a ship
- Compass - An instrument with a magnet capable of locating the north pole
- Convoy - A group of ships traveling together
- Coral - Animals that make up a coral reef
- Corporal - A low ranking noncommissioned officer
- Crew - People who work on a ship
- Cruiser -
- Cutter - A small boat
- Diver - Someone who goes deep in the water with scuba gear
- Dory - A small shallow boat; Also a character in the movie Nemo and more
Nautical Pet Names E - G
- Ensign - Lowest ranking commissioned officer in the US Navy
- El Niños - "The little boy" Warm surface water as a result of changing weather patterns.
- Ferry - A type of vessel that transports people and other items across bodies of water.
- Fin - in the UK, this is the structure on the topside of a submarine. Finn is a very popular boy dog name
- Fish - Type of animal living in water. In nautical terms, it means to secure an anchor on the side of a ship
- Flounder - Type of fish
- Frigate - A type of warship
- Galley - The kitchen on a ship
- Galleon - In the 16th to 18th centuries Europe, a multilevel sailing ship
- Gunner - A person in the armed forces that operates a gun. This is a popular boy dog name
- Gill - A part of a fish used for breathing in water
- Guppy - A small fish; A good name for a small dog
Nautical Pet Names H - J
- Harbor -A natural or man-made body of water adjacent to the mainland.
- Helm - The mechanism that steers the ship
- Henry (Morgan) - Pirate; You could use either Henry or Morgan as a great dog name
- Hermit (Crab) - Type of crustacean; a great name for an independent puppy.
- Herring - Type of Fish
- Hitch - Type of rope knot
- Hudson - as in Hudson Bay; A good name for a male dog
- Hurricane - Severe storm; Great choice for a puppy whose personality suggests chaos wherever he goes.
- Jack (Sparrow) - a Pirate
- Jacques - as in Jacques Cousteau, a French naval officer, filmmaker, and researcher who studied the sea and sea life. Both first and last names make good dog names especially for a french dog breed.
- Jaws - Mouth of a shark and Movie by the same name.
- Jolly Roger - A Pirate ship flying a flag with the white skull and crossbones
Nautical Dog Names K - R
- Kayak - A small canoe with opening in the top for a person to sit and row
- Lagoon - A small strip of salt water separated from the sea by a coral reef or sandbar
- Laker- A ship that carries cargo on the Great Lakes; A great name for a mid-western USA puppy
- Mackerel - A type of Fish
- Manatee - A marine mammal that lives in the water
- Mariner - Also known as a sailor
- Marlin - A type of Fish
- Master - in Nautical terms, a ship with a specified number of sails; In dog terms, a good name for an alpha male or female.
- Mate - Fellow seaman or friend; Great name for either a boy or a girl puppy.
- Moby (Dick) - Famous Whale and name of a book; A great dog name for one that loves the water.
- Motor - An engine that powers a boat
- Nemo - A famous fish and star of a movie of the same name
- Orca - Type of whale; killer whale; Good name for a black and white puppy.
- Otter - A medium sized marine mammal
- Pearl - A hard object found in the shell of an oyster; A great country girl dog name for one that is cream colored,
- Pirate - In nautical terms, a person who attacks and robs ships at sea: Is your dog a great thief when it comes to stealing treats and hiding them?
- Pier - See definition of dock
- Pilot - A helmsman or person who takes charge of a ship as it enters a narrow or finfined waterway such as the Panama Canal.
- Pontoon - A flat bottom boat that relies on pontoons to float; A great name for a dog that loves to sail
- Poseidon - God of the Sea
- Puddle - A small amount of water remaining on a hard surface. What puppy wouldn't want the name puddles?
- Puffer - As in Puffer Fish; A great name for a small dog that thinks he is larger than he is.
- Radar - A system for detecting the presence, direction, distance and speed of another craft; Here's a name for a puppy that doesn't miss a thing.
- Rudder - A flat object used to steer a ship
Nautical Dog Names S - Y
- Sailor - Someone who works on a boat
- Sandy - The land that is covered with sand and adjacent to the sea. Sandy is a popular girl dog name for one that has a tan coat
- Sardine - A type of Fish
- Scuba - Term used by Scuba Divers
- Shrimp - A type of crustacean
- Sinbad - a dog serving aboard the cutter USCGC Campbell in WWII,
- Sinker - A weight added to a fishing line
- Skipjack - A type of sailboat
- Sonar - A system for detecting objects underwater; A great dog name for an above-average watchdog.
- Starboard - The right side of a ship when the ship is facing forward.
- Tanker - A ship carrying liquids. Choose Tank for short.
- Tender - A boat used to carry people to and from a larger ship
- Titanic - An unlucky large ship that sunk in the north Atlantic: A great name for a large dog or a small dog that thinks he's a big dog
- Torpedo - An underwater missile fired from a ship, submarine or aircraft; A great dog name choice for a very fast puppy
- Tug - A small boat used in harbours
- Typhoon - A bad storm at sea near the Indian or Pacific Oceans
- Vessel - A ship or large boat
- Walrus - A large marine mammal
- Whaler - A bat used to fish whales
- Wharf - see Dock
- Yacht - Medium to large sized sailboat
Diane Brennan from the United States
added these additional great nautical pet names:
"Fathom", "Drifter", "Spinnaker", "Keel","Tack", "Jibe" and "Jib".
Did We Forget a Great Nautical Pet Name
We've tried hard to research great nautical pet names, but admit, there are probably many more that we missed. Want to help?
If you think you have another great name to add to this list, please submit it below. We will add it the next time we update the page with your name and location, so that you get all the credit.
If you enjoyed this page, I'd love it if you'd let me know. Just click the button below. Thank you.