The Ultimate List of
Black Dog Names
By Janice Jones |Last Updated 11-04-2023
Does your new puppy need a clever black dog name? Sure, why not. Every puppy deserves the perfect name and many people will choose a name based on the color of the fur or hair.
There are many ways to choose a name
for a small dog, but finding a name that reflects the color of his/her hair is
a popular choice.
We have compiled a list of possible names for your black
dog. Where does the inspiration come from for these black names?
Consider all the black
objects found in nature, either in the form of animals, plants and minerals.
Black Dog Names Based on Foods and Drinks
- Anise - seed has a licorice-like taste and black hue
- Bean/Beans (Black beans)
- Blackberry - tasty summer treat
- Black Quinoa
- Black Swan
- Cacao - cacao is the darkest & purest form of chocolate.
- Cola - black soda
- Coke - black soda
- Coffee -coffee without cream
- Eggplant (Black beauty eggplant variety)
- Espresso - Very strong dark coffee
- Fig / Figgy
- Guava (Black Guava)
- Guinness - Irish stout that is very dark in color
- Hershey - Could be used for a black or brown dog. Think Dark Chocolate
- Lentil (black lentils)
- Licorice (Black type of candy
- Mars (bars)
- Nori - a jet-black hue
- Olive (Black olive)
- Oreo - A good name for a black and white dog
- Pea - Black eyed pea
- Pepsi - soda that looks black
- Quinoa (black quinoa)
- Raisin - Dark dried fruit of grapes
- Sesame (black sesame seeds)
- Seaweed (black seaweed)
Black Dog Names Based on other Animals
- Aye Aye - A small mammal found on the island of Madagascar.
- Angus (type of black cow breed)
- Ant - tiny insects that are black
- Bat (small black mammal)
- Bear (black bear)
- Beetle (black insect)
- Black Beauty
- Black Bird
- Black Colobus Monkey
- Bonobo - black ape
- Crow (black bird)
- Bonobo apes are famously social and playful
- Jackal - medium size dog type mammal found in Africa
- Jaguar - largest cat species in the Americans sometimes black in color
- Leopard - Large black cat
- Magpie - Beautiful black and white bird
- Mamba - Black Mamba are venomous snakes found in Africa
- Mustang - black mustang horse species
- Myna - crow like bird with black feathers
- Panda - A large black animal
- Panther - Large black cat and another name for a cougar
- Penguin - Black land and sea bird; Could be used for a black and White dog.
- Puma - a large cat or another name for Cougar
- Raven - Large Black Bird
- Skunk - Not techincally all black but a good name for a black and white dog.
- Spider - black 8 legged arachnidsStarling - type of bird that is blackTasmanian Devil
- Squirrel (Black squirrel)
- Willy (whale in Free Willy)
- Vole - meadow mouse
- Wolf - large dark colored wild canine
- Vulter (black vulter)
- Widow - as in Black widow spider
- Zebra- Black and white wild animal
Black Dog Names Based on Other Languages
- Eleʻele (Hawaiian)
- Noir (French)
- Musta (Finnish)
- Schwarz (German)
- Negra (Spanish)
- Nero (Italian)
- Preto (Portuguese)
- Hei (Chinese)
- Kuro (Japanese)
- Geom-jeong (Korean)
- Svart (Swedish)
- Mávros (Greek)
Black Dog Names Based on Black Things
- Ace - As in the Ace of Spades
- Agate - A type of stone with various meanings depending on the culture from warding off evil to healing properties
- Asphalt - Black material used on roads
- Black Pearl
- Black Rose
- Blackjack (Jack for short)
- Blackie - Simple but descriptive
- Bullet - Ammunition
- Carbon - Black colored element
- Cosmo - The heavens are black in space
- Charcoal or Coal (Cole) for short
- Checkers - At least half of the playing pieces are Black
- Cinder - What's left over after a fire
- Clubs - Good name for someone who loves to play Cards
- Dark Star - 1974 American science fiction comedy film
- Demon - Usually considered very dark
- Diamond - black diamonds
- Dice - Could work for a black and white dog
- Domino - A good name for a predominantly black dog with a little white.
- Dot - A good name for a black dog with a white spot
- Ebony - Dark wood
- Eclipse - The sun or moon goes black during an eclipse
- Eightball - A black pool ball
- Ember - charred wood
- Oboe -Dark colored woodwind instrument
- Tux - short for Tuxedo, a black and white color fabric
Black Dog Names Based on Black Plants
- Bamboo - Black bamboo is a species of bamboo that is native to the Hunan Province of China
- Black Bearded Iris
- Black Coral Bells - the leaves look black
- Black Hollyhock
- Black Magic Mangave
- Black Mondo Grass
- Queen of the Night’ Tulip (Tulip or Queen for Short)
- Black Prince Coleus - not your typical coleus variety
- Iris - deep purple flowers that almost appear black
- Persian Lily
- Petunia - (Sweetunia Black Satin) variety
- Poppy - seeds are black
- Viola - variety called 'Black Delight'
Black Dog Names Based on Characters
- Batman - A favorite Superhero
- Buck - from "The Call of the Wild"
- Chess - Think, "A Queen’s Gambit"
- Cinderella - A beloved character that spent time in the ashes.
- Cruella - a dark Disney villain dressed in black and white fur.
- Deva (Hindu moon goddess)
- Elvira - Queen of the Night
- Fly - from “Babe,” the motherly black-and-white Border Collie.
- Grim (Reaper)
- Hades (Greek god)
- Hitchcock - Think dark fiction
- Joker (Batman)
- Knight - Black Knight
- Merlin - Mythical sorcerer for King Arthur
- Morpheus (The Matrix)
- Morticia (The Addams Family)
- Nyx - Greek goddess who was the personification of night.
- Orpheus (Greek mythology)
- Phantom - Phantom of the Opera
- Poe (Edgar Allen)
- Sirius (Harry Potter)
- Stella Luna - A black bat in the children's book by the same name
- Toto (Wizard of Oz)
- Wednesday (The Addams Family)
- Wolverine - x-men character
Black Dog Names Based on Rocks and Minerals that are Black
Black rocks, minerals and gemstones are often a symbol of strength, project, and comfort. Since ancient days many have taken on spiritual or metaphysical properties, making them highly regard and prized.
- Black Agate (Agate for short)
- Black Coral
- Black Diamond
- Black Jade
- Black Jasper
- Black Marble
- Black Quartz
- Black Star Sapphire
- Black Tiger’s Eye
- Black Tourmaline
- Black Zircon
- Blizzard Stone (Blizzard for short)
- Lava - Can harden into a black rock
- Obsidian - Dark black stone known for its metaphysical properties
- Onyx - Black stone
- Opal - Black Opals are precious stones
Dog Breeds That May Scream Black Dog Names
Maltese and Shih Tzu Hybrid
Bichon Frise and Cocker Spaniel Mix
More Black Dog Names A to Z
Graphite - pencil lead
Indigo - very dark pigment
Inkblot - That's assuming the ink is black
Inkwell - See above
Inky - See above
Magic - Think Black Magic
Midnight - Dark part of the night
Noche - means night in Spanish.
Nimbus - type of dark cloud
Ninja - Medieval Japanese Assassin
Rorschach - Remember the Rorschach ink blots from Psychology 101?
Shadow - Shadows are dark gray to black
Silhouette - The black outline of an object
Spade - Black cards
Spot - Good for a black dog with a couple of white spots
Stallion - Black horse
Stormy - Weather is usually very dark
Tarmac - Runway at the airport
Tattoo - Some tattoos are black
Vader - Darth Vader always portrayed with a black cloak
Velcro - Black Velcro makes a great name for a little black dog that won't leave your side.
Great Names for Black Dogs
Got Some Great Ideas for Black Dog Names?
We want to make this the longest Black Dog Names List ever. If I have forgotten a few or many, please let me know and we'll add them to this page along with a note giving you credit for creativity. Contact me now.
Are There Rules for Naming a Dog?
The short answer is yes and no and let me explain.
- Pick a name that is not too close to a traditional dog command such as come, sit, or stay
- Find a name that is comfortable for you to repeat in public
- Many dogs learn short names faster. Pick a one, two or three syllable name
- Choose a name that doesn't sound like any family member names
Black Dog Names: This gorgeous guy is Blackster from the United States (Standard Poodle).
Liz Garcia Perlines from Australind, Australia wrote
My little black dog is named Treacle (meaning black molasses).This is a great name for either a boy or a girl dog.
In this case, Treacle is a Girl!
More Black Dog Names from Our Readers
Ideas from Our Readers:
Ivy from Tennessee, USA Offered these ideas:
Skunk (Good for a Black & White Dog)
Valparaiso, Indiana USA suggested the following great names for your black dog:
KoKo for Cocoa
Shadeaux - Sounds like "Shadow" but with a French twist
PJ for a peanut butter and jelly dog (brown and red)
Cole is short for Charcoal or coal
Sabian - For Sabian Holmes, a famous black man
Elvin - Famous black drummer Elvin Jones
Clarke - Famous black drummer Kenny Clarke
J.W. Peterson from Cottage Grove, MN suggests the name, Brenna
I found this name has both Nordic and Celtic origin and has meanings ranging from Raven, Raven haired, Little Raven,Raven haired beauty, and even another meaning "little beacon on a hill" and even "little teardrop."
For an in depth explanation and historical perspective of the color black, check out this wikipedia article.
Choosing a name for your Dog’s Registration Paperwork
Need a formal name to place on your purebred dog’s
anything goes in this regard but must not exceed 50 characters including spaces
if you are registering with the American Kennel Club. Otherwise, you will pay more for your
name. Any name you choose will be
subject to approval with AKC.
You do not need to choose two entirely separate names, one
informal and one formal. You can start
with one of the names below and add to it to come up with a unique dog name to
register. For example, say you want to
name your dog Thunder, a formable name for a tiny dog.
Your registered name could be Josie’s Passing Thunder Clouds.
Have a suggestion for a black dog name. Take a moment and add it to our ever growing
list. Use the form below our list of black dog names to submit your
We will evaluate any name for
appropriateness on this site and add accordingly. You are also welcome to add photos and a
short story about your favorite black dog.
Share Your Thoughts about Black Dogs or Black Dog Names
Have a great name or story to tell about your Black
Dog? We’d love to hear it. Use the form below to tell the world about
your favorite black dog.
Your Black Dog
There are many small breed dogs that are black. Do you have or have had a small black dog. We'd like to hear about your dog? What is your dog's name? What breed? What are some special characteristics about him or her that makes them unique? Does he do tricks? Do you have a great story about a black dog Please share it. Don't forget to upload some photos.
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Black Dog names suggestions Not rated yet
Some names may be too long for dogs but are fine for cats (they never answer anyway unless they are in the mood).
Here are a few other black animal …
My Cute Twilight Not rated yet
My name is Jenny.Im 11 years old.
I chose the name Twilight for my puppy because it is really suitable for him.He is also the youngest,so i decided to …
Small Black Dogs Not rated yet
Izzy is a very popular name for a human so what about Tizzy.
Click here to write your own.
Didn’t find the perfect name? Check out our other dog name pages for
additional ideas to help you name your dog.
Does This Article Deserve Your Thumbs Up?
We always appreciate your support and encouragement. Your thumbs up means so much to us. Please like this article.
If you find this page or any page on Small Dog Place Helpful, or useful in anyway, I'd love it if you would click the small heart found on the bottom right of each page.
You can also share or bookmark this page -- just click on the:
Free Monthly Newsletter
Sign Up for Our Free Newsletter and get our Free Gift to You.
my E-book, The Top 10 Mistakes People Make When Choosing a Dog (and how to avoid them)